Coaching and leadership are two sides of the same coin. Both involve building relationships and motivating individuals or teams to reach personal and professional goals. The success of a team or organisation depends on the ability of its leaders to build strong relationships and inspire others to achieve their goals. As a leader or coach, knowing who you can trust, developing trust with people, and getting people to trust you makes all the difference. It will help you to show up as the best version of yourself by bringing out your true self, allowing yourself to be vulnerable, being authentic, and understanding you don’t have all the answers.
In this episode of the Hands On Business podcast, we talk about the common practices of successful leaders and coaches. We will also learn about Claire’s exciting journey from corporate HR to owning her business and practical tips on what you need to become a successful leader and coach. You are about to discover your strategic passions, understand the exponential curve, and cultivate the confidence to lead and take people where you want to go.
Listen in to learn about strategic patience and the exponential curve in Leadership, how to build relationships with your team, operate in a community, and amp up your leadership performance. Get ready to cultivate a self-explorative mindset, take risks, and be prepared to fail. Failure is the first attempt in learning (F.A.I.L), don’t give up too early because of the pressure of short-term results.
What You Will Learn:
- [00:00] Intro and a bit about our guest today, Claire Walton
- [01:43] Claire’s career background and how she got to where she is today.
- [08:07] Claire’s perspective on the biggest challenges for most retail businesses
- [11:37] What Claire did differently as a store manager to accelerate and get ahead of the competition.
- [18:31] Reacting as opposed to leading in Leadership
- [21:57] The similarities of coaching and leadership and how to integrate the two into your vision
- [32:41] Coaching Vs. directive style; why coaching is a prerequisite to leadership
- [39:31] Leadership principles that Claire has seen in most successful leaders
- [48:08] Strategic patience and the exponential curve in Leadership
- [53:17] Amping up your leadership performance to deal with the increasingly challenging demands
- [56:16] About Claire’s book, Super Neuro You, and how to get hold of it
- [01:00:43] One thing to remember in leadership and coaching: BE YOURSELF
- [01:01:37] Ending the show
- “Leadership is about relationship, being able to know who you can trust, develop trust with people and get people to trust you.”– Claire Walton [12:07]
- “The vision of success is not just metrics around revenue and margins; it is also about what sort of place we collectively want to work in.”– Claire Walton [14:48]
- “There is a range of different leadership styles, and we apply them at different times.” – Claire Walton [33:39]
- “Leadership is not about telling people what they already know or can learn very quickly online; it’s our job as leaders to help people to apply what they know.”– Claire Walton [34:35]
- “People want to help you out, and part of authenticity is showing up in a way that allows people to help you as a leader.”– Claire Walton [42:26]
- “Good leaders are prepared to take risks; you are not going to get anywhere significantly different if you’re not prepared to take risks.”- Claire Walton [46:00]
- “If you keep doing the same thing over and over again without learning or improving over time, that is a failure.”- Hakeem Adebiyi [45:35]
- “A lot of leaders are too afraid of accepting that life and businesses are full of exponential curves, and it’s all about leaders making a difference.”- Claire Walton [48:18]
- “As individuals, we need to have strategic passions with ourselves when we’re taking on new habits that create vast changes.”- Claire Walton [50:53]
Thank You For Listening!
Claire’s book, Super Neuro You: https://www.amazon.com/Super-Neuro-You-Claire-Walton/dp/1913728188
📺 Watch this episode on the Hands On Business Podcast: https://youtu.be/XP9DdLEPd9U
🔗Contact me on LinkedIn for the offer: https://www.linkedin.com/in/hakeemad